Sunday, November 22, 2009

Play-off perils

Egyptian and Algerian players in a heated moment
The Egyptians and Algerians didn't impress Alan Green
I wasn't commentating on any of the play-off games in mid-week but I made sure I watched Egypt against Algeria. We knew it would be tense – games between those two always are – but I've never witnessed, in over thirty years of describing football on radio or television, two teams so contemptuous of playing the game honestly.
It was a disgrace. Any tackle even bordering on a foul – and most weren't – provoked scenes of players supposedly writhing in agony.
The Egyptians were, certainly early on, the worst offenders but the player whose behaviour really stuck in my throat was the Algerian goalkeeper Chaouchi. In the second half, as his team successfully held on to their lead, he would catch the ball and then, without an opponent in sight, fall to the ground, usually feigning injury: pathetic.
It was almost as pathetic as FIFA's decision to make Eddy Maillet of the Seychelles the referee for such a crucial fixture.
Hand of Henry
Thierry Henry's handball
Henry's reputation will suffer as a result of this
And then there was Thierry Henry of France. Rather like Maradona and his 'Hand of God' goal in 1986, I'm not sure I will ever forgive Thierry Henry for his cheating against Ireland in Paris on Wednesday night. I had thought better of him.
In my view, like the Argentine, Henry's status as a 'great' footballer will now always be tainted.
How can you celebrate a goal when you know that you've cheated? How did he have the nerve to sit down on the pitch with Richard Dunne afterwards? How did the Irish defender resist the urge to smack the Frenchman in the face?
Two things: personally, the way I feel at the moment, I might be tempted to boo Henry next summer in South Africa. And, please, hands up any fool out there who is STILL against the use of video technology.
Alan Green presents World Football on BBC World Service

0 comments:

Post a Comment